Tuesday, March 6, 2007

One For All and All For One!

The comments from yesterday's post got me thinking, am I really too hard on myself? Is it okay to fail just a little bit and still be okay? I guess I really do have an all or nothing mentality, especially when it came to quitting smoking (six weeks today!). I knew that if I cheated just a little bit pretty soon I'd be back outside with the smokers puffin' away and I didn't want that to happen!

I've decided I'm going to relax a little bit and not be so critical when things go wrong, life happens and I just need to learn to deal with it and get over it. It would also help if I posted when I was feeling good, not just when I did something wrong. Today I'm in a great mood, doing well, worked out last night at water aerobics and had a blast and a little stiff today but not too bad..

It's true, I'm terrified I'll fail at this and not stick to it, that the fat is here for good and I'll never get married or find a life partner & have kids and live a good active life like I desperately want to. The strange part is that I'm usually the kind of girl who once I put my mind to it I get what I want.. I have all sorts of semi-expensive toys to prove it too! I quit smoking, got financially secure, moved to Alaska, moved BACK from Alaska, etc. I will do anything to get what I want and make myself happy so I should apply 100% of that to my weight loss as well. This will probably be the slowest payoff ever.. hee hee

I promise from this day forward to take a more positive attitude and tout my accomplishments and not my shortcomings as much! Thank you ladies, that was just the kick in the butt I needed. :) I'll try to post every day too, it really helps me organize my thoughts and work on my game plan at the same time.

5 comments:

Susie H said...

Great attitude today - reviewing your accomplishments in other areas shows that you CAN get what you want. You rock!

I've been reading along here - one thing I am wondering is how you are keeping track of your food intake? Do you log it daily? I use FitDay.com, which was a bear the first couple of weeks, entering my specific foods, but is very easy now.

I find that writing down what I eat helps me to see what/where/when, etc. and FitDay also breask it down by fat/carb/protein ratio in a cute little pie chart, so I can see the difference between a craptastic day and a day where I ate and felt good.

Wishing you LOTS of motivation!!

Vamp said...

I actually AM using fitday. :) I bought the program and am entering things in daily for the most part.. I skipped a couple of days here and there but for the most part I've been pretty faithful with it!

Thanks for the kick in the butt, I totally needed it. ^_^

Ann said...

I don't know you but I really enjoy this blog! And it sounds like you're doing a great job.
This is anathema to a lot of diet advice, but to combat cravings I would recommend a "free day" once a week (an idea found in Body for Life, even though I don't otherwise follow that program). On this day you take a break and can eat anything you want. I have been doing this, and I found it is tremendously helpful to avoid otherwise "cheating," since I can eat the stuff I really like once a week. Also, I find since I've been doing the free day I don't mindlessly eat fattening stuff anymore that I don't really enjoy (ie, candy bars), since I like to use my "free day" for things that are very tasty.
I don't know how anyone else feels about a "free day" but it has been a lifesaver for me. (I've lost 70 pounds in a little over a year and a half and am about 3 pounds away from goal)

runlaugheatpie said...

Try to remember that every day is a new day and the past is the past! I know it's hard to not beat ourselves up or feel bad for mistakes... but this is life and life is worth living in the present moment.

I've been working on giving myself affirmations for a little while now and it makes such a difference! Keep up your positive attitude, FORGIVE yourself for the past and tell yourself the good things: I WILL lose weight and be healthy, I WILL one day fall in love with a man who loves me for who I am, I WILL have a family, I WILL be healthy, I WILL have my dreams come true! If you believe it, it will happen!!

Unknown said...

When I read everything you've accomplished, I know you'll succeed at weight loss.

I had written a longer comment to this post a few days ago, but a medical emergency happened in my family just as I was publishing it. So I shut down the computer in the middle of it.

If you got some strange, nonsensical comment from me, that's what happened. Sorry.

Debbie
http://www.ILoveToCheatDiet.com/blog