Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The NU Step Machine - I am SO stoked!

Okay so I went to water aerobics last night at the Y but beforehand I got a small tour of the facilities so I could see what else they offered besides the pool that I could possibly have the ability to do. Most of it seemed totally out of my league. I swear the elliptical was making me sick watching people run on it.. Fortunately the girl showing me around had several pounds on her own frame so she was totally honest about the things she thinks I should and shouldn't do just to be on the safe side.

In two weeks I'll start my weight training circuit (it looks totally fun and she said to set another appointment so we could go through it together), yay! She also told me it would probably be best not to do the elliptical until I could do a sustained 20-25 minutes on the treadmill as it might be a little too hard for me at this point. Since I'm barely into 10 minutes on the treadmill it'll be a while before I'm ready for any of those.

What I'm totally excited about though is this machine called the NUStep. I took a weight management class last year when I lived in Anchorage, AK and I was amazed that I could actually do this machine for 30-45 mins and keep a target heart range without hurting myself! It's basically like a recumbent stair stepper (stupid bikes make my feet cramp and/or I'm banging into my own fat belly every step) with arms like an elliptical. They recommend these for heart patients because it's totally low impact but gets the heart rate up where it should be. I've been looking everywhere for a gym with one of those and turns out it's at the Y! I'm so glad I joined! I'm hoping to come down and do 1/2 hr or so on the nights I don't have water aerobics if it's open. It was a mad house down there last night due to the holidays but it was open then so I'll keep my fingers crossed it'll be in the future since there's only one of them there. It's tucked back into the corner so maybe people won't know it's there!

Oh and I checked the scale again ( I know, I know, leave it alone) and it's holding steady at 350. I might just have a 5 pound weight loss by the end of the week, yay!

2 comments:

Megan said...

That machine sounds like a fantastic way to go! I'm so excited for you that the Y has one. And how cool was it that the girl showing you around wants to do the circuit thing together? You just might end up with a great workout buddy!

You're totally inspiring me to get off my ass and work out tonight. I usually go walking most days, but I didn't go yesterday (though I did some major house cleaning, so I got a workout that way and my house looks much better!) or today. Thanks for helping me get my lazy ass up and moving!

Lucie said...

On Monday I did try the Nustep and it was really great. For the first time I actually went 15 minutes. I just had a total knee replacement, and yes I too weigh in @ 230#'s. I do not like treadmills and bikes, this is low impact and I enjoyed it. Time went fast. Today I lasted 20 minutes. If it is true, I do hope to lose some of this weight. I will be happy to get to 170. Megan please share your weight loss on this machine. I will post also. Lucie