Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I'm A Food Nazi.

I really didn't notice it until just today, I'm a food Nazi. Here's how I realized just exactly what I was. Today at lunch I sat next to a guy who explained that he was trying to lose weight. I watched him do this (horrified might I add) while inhaling two humongous slices of pizza. I swear, these things were almost as big as the plate themselves and easily could have ran 1000 calories a piece. It took every once of willpower that I had not to mention something to him or rip the pizza from his fingers and throw them in the garbage where they belong. If I'm not a food nazi I'm at least the food police!

When I get gung ho in to eating healthy food I notice every single morsel that other people consume as well. It's a mental calculation of failures and I can't help but keep a running tally in my head. It's especially bad when I'm standing in line in the cafeteria and I notice someone order a sandwich on white bread with extra mayo (umm, can we say ewwww) with a huge mound of turkey and cheese over the top of that. They get a side of chips and their regular soda and move on down the line. It's all I can do not to tell them how much better it would be for them if they skipped the mayo, went with mustard on whole wheat with a couple of slices of turkey (rather than the mound) and load it with veggies and have a side of cucumbers or cottage cheese on the side.

Why do I do this? Why do I mentally calculate everyone else's consumption? Am I really that bored with all of my food? (Believe me, I love my food, like my sister likes to say: "Like a fat kid on a cupcake") I even did it with my friend Char today, she got breaded chicken to go on her salad. I was sneaky though, I casually mentioned something about how the cafeteria should really give us just regular chicken breast instead of the breaded stuff. See how good I was? Blamed the cafeteria, didn't blame Char for putting the crap on her caeser salad......with cheese.

No comments: